Why Anthya Samskaaram (Cremation) is better then Shava Samskaaram (Burial)
As per the Aadi-Hindu sampradaayam Anthya Samskaaram is better way of joining the mruta-deham (dead body) with Panchabhootam (five elements, i.e., Bhoomi-Earth, Jalam-water, Vaayu-Air, Agni-Fire and Sound-Ether).
- The samayam of anthya samskaaram should be before the surya-hasta (sunset) so that no nakaaraatmakam (negative) shakthi (energy) approaches the mruta-deham. In shava samskaaram, since the mruta-deham remains either outside the earth or inside the earth, any nakaaraatmakam shakthi can disturb the normal procedure of samskaaram.
- By doing anthya samskaaram, the five vital energy [(Prana Vaayu-breathing, Apana Vaayu-excretion, Udana Vaayu-Voice-related to thyroid gland, Samana Vaayu-Stomach-related to metabolism, Vyana Vaayu-flow of oxygen to all parts of the body using blood) and five sub vital energy (Naaga Vaayu-belching, burping and related winds of stomach, Kuurma Vaayu-sneezing and related to nose, Krikara Vaayu-blinking of eyes, Devadatta Vaayu-Yawning, Dhananjaya Vaayu-Twitching-sudden movement of any part of the body)] can easily get disintegrated into the atmosphere. In doing shava samskaaram, non of the vital energy can be disintegrated properly, since the mruta-deham will be inside the earth and it's impossible for any Vaayu or energy to get disintegrated easily.
- In anthya samskaaram the agni which will be surrounded with the mruta-deham will be build as a protective shield, so that any further small nakaaraatmakam shakthi won't be able to harm the mruta-deham (this may include flies, insects, etc).
- Since in the anthya samskaaram the whole body disintegrates into five vital energy and five sub vital energy the bond between the sushkma deham (subtle body) and bhoutika deham (physical body) is broken, so the aatmam (soul) can leave in peace and can reach to it's destination. While in shava samskaaram since no energy comes out of the body easily, both the sushkma deham and bhoutika deham bond is not broken and it is difficult for the aatmam to reach to it's destination easily.
- Also the agni provides a protective sheath against the rajassic and taamssic tendencies of the deham, which the deham would had occupied before the death, thus making the whole deham as a saathvic deham and finally the aatmam will be ready to reach his realm. But in the shava samskaaram this is not at all possible.
- To do shava samskaaram lot of pradesham (space) has to be used permanently or atleast for many months, which is an useless thing to do. In anthya samskaaram the pradesham will be used only for, not more than three days. After three days, a new antya samskaaram can be done at the same pradesham again. This can be repeated again and again, unlike in shava samskaaram. Yes indeed some wood has to be used here and some smoke will be emanating, but this is natural and has to be practiced, since in the hindu sampradaayam there is a saying, "if we want to gain something, than we need to lose something too". We don't mind to lose little bit, so that it will be easy to the mruta deham to be in peace and to reach it's aatmam to it's abode easily and in time.
- While after completing the shava samskaaram, when all the people leave that pradesham, any wild animal can come there and it may disturb the mruta deham. In antya samskaaram, there is no chance of this type of activity, since agni is used no animal can come near to the mruta deham.
- During the shava samskaaram if the person who had died because of the teevra rogam (acute disease), then it is bad to the parisaram and also to the people who live surrounding to that pradesham. While in the anthya samskaaram, since agni is known as sarva-bhakshaka (fire can make everything and anything into ashes), there is no problem to anybody.
- Antya samskaaram is useful to get the deham to mix into the panchabhootam very quickly (at most 24 hours) and the aatmam can come out of the mruta deham very early and can reach it's destination easily, but while in shava samskaaram, it may take several maasam (months) to get mix into panchabhootam, which would make the aatmam to avoid to getting free easily from it's mruta deham.
- In Hindu sampradaayam, once the mruta deham completes it's antya samskaaram, than the aatmam goes and mixes into panchabhootam and later if the deham takes it's rebirth (this would depend as per that person's karmam), then it will be a new beginning to everything for that person, means, a new body, new life, new parents, new place, everything will be new and that person has to start from the basic again. In other sampradaayam, where they expect the mruta deham to get up again with the same body is not as per the nature and also has never happened & would never happen too.
PS: Whatever Bhagavan has created is recycled by Bhagavan himself, that is for example if coconut shell mixes into mud than it will take few days to merge into the same mud. But if the living body, like the humans, than it will take very long time to merge into the mud and again to get recycle (this will be according to that person's karmam). Let us not avoid to recycle the human body as per the Bhagavan liking. Let Bhagavan be the decision maker, we are mere humans and let us be mere humans only and let not act as Bhagavan.
OM NAMO NARAYANAYA